Subject: Re: Cabal, Haskell Platform
From: Duncan Coutts <[email-masked]>
To: Simon Peyton Jones <[email-masked]>
Cc: Gershom B <[email-masked]>, "Edward Yang ([email-masked])" <[email-masked]>, Ben Gamari <[email-masked]>, Austin Seipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 22:56:22 +0000

On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 21:47 +0000, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:

> ·         GHC has for some time had the hooks to install multiple
> instances of the same library without conflict, but Cabal does not (or
> did not).  I know Duncan was planning to do this.   Will the Cabal
> that comes with HP 8.0 have this ability?

On this specific point, I've been working on this a lot recently. We'll
be merging the new stuff into the main cabal-install development branch
relatively soon. However that's not the end of the story. At this point
in time I cannot say for certain if this new stuff will be on by default
in the cabal-install we release to go with ghc 8.0, though I'm confident
it would at least be included as a non-default tech preview.

So we should work out when our cut-off time is when we have to decide if
we can use this new code or if we have to go with an interim solution.
Gershom, Austin and Ben and I should chat about this to work out the
timing.

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.well-typed.com%2f&data=01%7c01%7csimonpj%40064d.mgd.microsoft.com%7c124237f8537443013b4908d2e2468acb%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=ipMW61UX0LWjHJ7eVOHQdJwkGAThq%2bGB819EQU3U4CU%3d