Assigning Shepherd: #738: Amend #669 to categorize more language extensions
Trevis Elser submitted proposal #738: Amend #669 to categorize more language extensions <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738> for the committee to review. I'd like to nominate *Adam Gundry* as the shepherd. Please guide us to a conclusion as outlined in the committee processes <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/README.rst#9committee-process-for-responding-to-a-proposal> . If possible, please aim to make a recommendation by *7 August 2026*. Cheers Simon
Dear Committee, I encourage you to take a look at Trevis' proposal to categorise the stability of more language extensions, by amending the existing categorization in proposal #669: https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738 I think we should accept this in principle. However, this proposal is somewhat atypical as it consists of many small decisions about individual extensions. Thus I suggest it may be easiest to comment on specific lines of the MR and discuss any changes there. Once more people have opined on the categorization, we can confirm whether there is consensus to accept. When reviewing, please bear in mind the definitions of the categories as set out in proposal #601 (https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0601-ex...). Note in particular that use of Deprecated extensions should result in warnings, and that declaring an extension Stable implies that it is highly unlikely to be subject to breaking changes. Cheers, Adam On 24/07/2026 11:02, Simon Marlow wrote:
Trevis Elser submitted proposal #738:
Amend #669 to categorize more language extensions <https://github.com/ ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738>
for the committee to review.
I'd like to nominate *Adam Gundry* as the shepherd.
Please guide us to a conclusion as outlined in the committee processes <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/ README.rst#9committee-process-for-responding-to-a-proposal>.
If possible, please aim to make a recommendation by *7 August 2026*.
Cheers Simon
-- Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/ Registered in England & Wales, OC335890 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England
I support this proposal. There is bound to be some debate around particular extensions, but Trevis has (I believe) been careful to put controversial ones into the "Remaining" (i.e. still uncategorised) set. Simon On Tue, 4 Aug 2026 at 21:29, Adam Gundry <adam@well-typed.com> wrote:
Dear Committee,
I encourage you to take a look at Trevis' proposal to categorise the stability of more language extensions, by amending the existing categorization in proposal #669:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738
I think we should accept this in principle. However, this proposal is somewhat atypical as it consists of many small decisions about individual extensions. Thus I suggest it may be easiest to comment on specific lines of the MR and discuss any changes there. Once more people have opined on the categorization, we can confirm whether there is consensus to accept.
When reviewing, please bear in mind the definitions of the categories as set out in proposal #601 ( https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0601-ex...).
Note in particular that use of Deprecated extensions should result in warnings, and that declaring an extension Stable implies that it is highly unlikely to be subject to breaking changes.
Cheers,
Adam
On 24/07/2026 11:02, Simon Marlow wrote:
Trevis Elser submitted proposal #738:
Amend #669 to categorize more language extensions <https://github.com/ ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738>
for the committee to review.
I'd like to nominate *Adam Gundry* as the shepherd.
Please guide us to a conclusion as outlined in the committee processes <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/ README.rst#9committee-process-for-responding-to-a-proposal>.
If possible, please aim to make a recommendation by *7 August 2026*.
Cheers Simon
-- Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/
Registered in England & Wales, OC335890 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England
_______________________________________________ ghc-steering-committee mailing list -- ghc-steering-committee@haskell.org To unsubscribe send an email to ghc-steering-committee-leave@haskell.org
Seems reasonable to me, I just made one comment on the PR: I think OverloadedLists could be Deprecated rather than Legacy if we really think it doesn't have a future. Cheers Simon On Tue, 4 Aug 2026 at 21:29, Adam Gundry <adam@well-typed.com> wrote:
Dear Committee,
I encourage you to take a look at Trevis' proposal to categorise the stability of more language extensions, by amending the existing categorization in proposal #669:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738
I think we should accept this in principle. However, this proposal is somewhat atypical as it consists of many small decisions about individual extensions. Thus I suggest it may be easiest to comment on specific lines of the MR and discuss any changes there. Once more people have opined on the categorization, we can confirm whether there is consensus to accept.
When reviewing, please bear in mind the definitions of the categories as set out in proposal #601 ( https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0601-ex...).
Note in particular that use of Deprecated extensions should result in warnings, and that declaring an extension Stable implies that it is highly unlikely to be subject to breaking changes.
Cheers,
Adam
On 24/07/2026 11:02, Simon Marlow wrote:
Trevis Elser submitted proposal #738:
Amend #669 to categorize more language extensions <https://github.com/ ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738>
for the committee to review.
I'd like to nominate *Adam Gundry* as the shepherd.
Please guide us to a conclusion as outlined in the committee processes <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/ README.rst#9committee-process-for-responding-to-a-proposal>.
If possible, please aim to make a recommendation by *7 August 2026*.
Cheers Simon
-- Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/
Registered in England & Wales, OC335890 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England
_______________________________________________ ghc-steering-committee mailing list -- ghc-steering-committee@haskell.org To unsubscribe send an email to ghc-steering-committee-leave@haskell.org
+1 from me. Am Do., 6. Aug. 2026 um 15:00 Uhr schrieb Simon Marlow <marlowsd@gmail.com>:
Seems reasonable to me, I just made one comment on the PR: I think OverloadedLists could be Deprecated rather than Legacy if we really think it doesn't have a future.
Cheers Simon
On Tue, 4 Aug 2026 at 21:29, Adam Gundry <adam@well-typed.com> wrote:
Dear Committee,
I encourage you to take a look at Trevis' proposal to categorise the stability of more language extensions, by amending the existing categorization in proposal #669:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738
I think we should accept this in principle. However, this proposal is somewhat atypical as it consists of many small decisions about individual extensions. Thus I suggest it may be easiest to comment on specific lines of the MR and discuss any changes there. Once more people have opined on the categorization, we can confirm whether there is consensus to accept.
When reviewing, please bear in mind the definitions of the categories as set out in proposal #601 ( https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposals/0601-ex...).
Note in particular that use of Deprecated extensions should result in warnings, and that declaring an extension Stable implies that it is highly unlikely to be subject to breaking changes.
Cheers,
Adam
On 24/07/2026 11:02, Simon Marlow wrote:
Trevis Elser submitted proposal #738:
Amend #669 to categorize more language extensions <https://github.com/ ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738>
for the committee to review.
I'd like to nominate *Adam Gundry* as the shepherd.
Please guide us to a conclusion as outlined in the committee processes <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/ README.rst#9committee-process-for-responding-to-a-proposal>.
If possible, please aim to make a recommendation by *7 August 2026*.
Cheers Simon
-- Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/
Registered in England & Wales, OC335890 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England
_______________________________________________ ghc-steering-committee mailing list -- ghc-steering-committee@haskell.org To unsubscribe send an email to ghc-steering-committee-leave@haskell.org
_______________________________________________ ghc-steering-committee mailing list -- ghc-steering-committee@haskell.org To unsubscribe send an email to ghc-steering-committee-leave@haskell.org
Dear Committee, If you haven't already commented on #738, please take a look and check you agree with the categorization: https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738 In particular I believe we are waiting for responses from: - Malte - Matthías - Rodrigo - Jakob - Erik Please try to respond by *15th September*. One particular point of discussion that arose is whether OverloadedLists should be Legacy or Deprecated (https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738#discussion_r37289053...). Simon M argues we should more aggressively use Deprecated to warn people away from extensions which we believe are bad ideas; I argue that Legacy is a better compromise for cases that are in use and not actively in need of removal. Please do chime in with your views! Cheers, Adam On 04/08/2026 21:29, Adam Gundry wrote:
Dear Committee,
I encourage you to take a look at Trevis' proposal to categorise the stability of more language extensions, by amending the existing categorization in proposal #669:
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738
I think we should accept this in principle. However, this proposal is somewhat atypical as it consists of many small decisions about individual extensions. Thus I suggest it may be easiest to comment on specific lines of the MR and discuss any changes there. Once more people have opined on the categorization, we can confirm whether there is consensus to accept.
When reviewing, please bear in mind the definitions of the categories as set out in proposal #601 (https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc- proposals/blob/master/proposals/0601-extension-lifecycle- framework.md#21-categories). Note in particular that use of Deprecated extensions should result in warnings, and that declaring an extension Stable implies that it is highly unlikely to be subject to breaking changes.
Cheers,
Adam
On 24/07/2026 11:02, Simon Marlow wrote:
Trevis Elser submitted proposal #738:
Amend #669 to categorize more language extensions <https://github.com/ ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/738>
for the committee to review.
I'd like to nominate *Adam Gundry* as the shepherd.
Please guide us to a conclusion as outlined in the committee processes <https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/ README.rst#9committee-process-for-responding-to-a-proposal>.
If possible, please aim to make a recommendation by *7 August 2026*.
Cheers Simon
-- Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/ Registered in England & Wales, OC335890 27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England
participants (4)
-
Adam Gundry -
Sebastian Graf -
Simon Marlow -
Simon Peyton Jones