#13209: ghc panic with optimization. -------------------------------------+------------------------------------- Reporter: 1chb | Owner: Type: bug | Status: new Priority: normal | Milestone: Component: Compiler | Version: 7.10.3 Resolution: | Keywords: Operating System: Linux | Architecture: x86 Type of failure: GHC rejects | Test Case: valid program | Blocked By: | Blocking: Related Tickets: | Differential Rev(s): Wiki Page: | -------------------------------------+------------------------------------- Comment (by 1chb): Replying to [comment:2 mpickering]:
There is little difference between the compiler taking a very long time (as it does in this example) and looping forever. Some kind of limit on the simplifier is prudent to stop the compiler appearing to hang.
This my toy example is not important. But what happens when I have a bigger program/system that contains one for the optimizer too heavy construct? Do I have to forget optimization for the rest of the program/system too? That is not practical. I think the optimizer should give up that part and optimize the rest. -- Ticket URL: <http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13209#comment:6> GHC <http://www.haskell.org/ghc/> The Glasgow Haskell Compiler