Maybe you could check out the FTGL package for inspiration on using the freetype as a conventional C library. I was going to try to write a Hackage package but realised I know nothing about typography and had to start reading the intro. on Freetype's homepage (which is pretty good, actually). Maybe I'll try it on the weekend. I needed something to measure the size in pixels of some text for a given font and point size, so I used libgd and manually analysed the pixels. It wasn't fast but it worked perfectly. So, Gery, if you don't really need speed all that much, that's a quick route to success. Otherwise maybe we could work on something with the Freetype library. On 1 June 2010 18:22, Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Brandon
Even that's not simple - freetype is essentially a framework for writing font processors rather than a conventional C library[*]. Saner perhaps is to write a C program using freetype to do the exact job you have in mind, then bind to your C program.
Best wishes
Stephen
[*} Probably why several people Including me have attempted a binding, but no-one has delivered one.
On 1 June 2010 17:18, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
The saner way to do this is to write a binding to freetype2.
Haskell-Cafe mailing list Haskell-Cafe@haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe