Graphics problems
Hi, This is not a bug report but I didn't have a clue where to seek help. If this is not the correct place and you can direct me to the appropriate place I would appreciate it. I have installed hugs98 and have been using it to learn Haskell. I have been reading Paul Hudak's book and would like to try some of the graphics examples. I obtained the SOEGraphics library (version 2.0.4) and installed it. No reported problems during the install. However, when I modify my HUGSFLAGS to include the path to the library I get the following: mrcoffee 82 : hugs __ __ __ __ ____ ___ _________________________________________ || || || || || || ||__ Hugs 98: Based on the Haskell 98 standard ||___|| ||__|| ||__|| __|| Copyright (c) 1994-2001 ||---|| ___|| World Wide Web: http://haskell.org/hugs || || Report bugs to: hugs-bugs@haskell.org || || Version: February 2001 _________________________________________ Haskell 98 mode: Restart with command line option -98 to enable extensions Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/Prelude.hs": Hugs session for: /usr/share/hugs98/lib/Prelude.hs Type :? for help hugs98>:l graph1.hs Reading file "graph1.hs": Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/SOEGraphics.hs":Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/GraphicsUtils.hs": Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/GraphicsCore.hs": Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/GraphicsEvent.hs": Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/GraphicsKey.hs":Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/Maybe.hs": Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/X.hs": Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/Xlib_StdDIS.hs":Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/Int.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/Bits.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/Int.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/Word.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/Addr.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/IOExts.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/hugs/Trace.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/IO.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/Ix.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/IO.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/Array.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/List.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/Array.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/IOExts.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/Monad.hs": Reading file "/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts/Foreign.hs": Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/Xlib_StdDIS.hs":Reading file "/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11/X.hs": Parsing Unexpected signal mrcoffee 83 : I have tried to build the SOEGraphics library with the Linux and FreeBSD switches. I have a Debian linux system running kernel 2.4.14 (potato, I think?). I have also tried to add the -98 extensions switch to my HUGSFLAGS which currently looks like: printenv HUGSFLAGS -phugs98> -98 -P/usr/share/hugs98/lib:/usr/share/hugs98/lib/hugs:/usr/share/hugs98/lib/exts:/usr/share/hugs98/extensions:/home/kmathias/Haskell/SOE/graphics-2.0.4/lib/x11 I am a novice at linux info so I am not sure what other appropriate info to provide or if my problem is shell related or hugs related or even SOEGraphics build related. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Keith -- ----------------------------------------------------------------- | Keith Mathias Keith.Mathias@auc.trw.com | | TRW Aurora, CO 80011 (303) 873-8371 | | o__ o__ o__ o__ o__ o__ o__ | | _.>/ _ _.>/ _ _.>/ _ _.>/ _ _.>/ _ _.>/ _ _.>/ _ | | (_) \(_) (_) \(_) (_) \(_) (_) \(_) (_) \(_) (_) \(_) (_) \(_) | ----------------------------------------------------------------- ISGEC GECCO-2002, New York City, July 9-13 http://www.isgec.org
I am having problems with the SOE graphics library for hugs and have searched diligently for a fix. I thought that you might look at this and know directly what the problem is.
I do indeed. This banner shows you're using the Feb 2001 release of Hugs. __ __ __ __ ____ ___ _________________________________________ || || || || || || ||__ Hugs 98: Based on the Haskell 98 standard ||___|| ||__|| ||__|| __|| Copyright (c) 1994-2001 ||---|| ___|| World Wide Web: http://haskell.org/hugs || || Report bugs to: hugs-bugs@haskell.org || || Version: February 2001 _________________________________________ Sadly, version 2.0.4 only works with the Dec 2001 release (no version of HGL works with Feb 2001). Even more sadly, the last time I looked (less than a month ago), the Debian package for Hugs was out of date (I've asked the maintainer to update it but, like most of us, he's swamped). What to do in the meantime is: 1) Uninstall the debian package of Hugs. This is optional but will save you confusion later. 2) Download Hugs yourself from http://cvs.haskell.org/Hugs/downloads/hugs98-Dec2001.tar.gz 3) Unpack it and build it tar zxvf hugs98-Dec2001.tar.gz # see hugs98-Dec2001/Install for installation instructions or # just follow the following cd hugs98-Dec2001/src/unix ./configure --prefix=$HOME --with-readline # ^^^^^ consider changing this cd .. make install Let me know if you run into problems. -- Alastair Reid
participants (2)
-
Alastair David Reid -
Keith Mathias