| Simon, did you get the clarifications that you wanted? Can we go ahead | and accept this? Yes -- let's just accept and move on. It's a small proposal that rejects a few programs that are currently accepted, but should not be. After discussion Richard moved a much more elaborate proposal to a historical appendix; it wasn't "obviously right" enough to pay its way. But we may hope that in the future we will see more clearly, and so this proposal is deliberately a minimal holding position. But the present situation is outright wrong, so there's a net step forward. Simon | -----Original Message----- | From: ghc-steering-committee <ghc-steering-committee- | bounces@haskell.org> On Behalf Of Joachim Breitner | Sent: 24 April 2018 03:45 | To: ghc-steering-committee@haskell.org | Subject: Re: [ghc-steering-committee] Constraint vs Type: I propose | acceptance | | Hi, | | nobody responds to this in two months. I assume that we all simply | trust Simon here? | | Simon, did you get the clarifications that you wanted? Can we go ahead | and accept this? | | Cheers, | Joachim | | Am Montag, den 26.02.2018, 11:14 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones: | > Friends | > I propose that we support the GHC proposal “Declare Constraint is not | apart from Type” | > Currently GHC operates an uneasy compromise: | > Constraint and Type are treated as distinct in the type checker (e.g. | do not unify) | > But they are treated as the same in Core | > I have spent ages in discussion with Richard and others for how to fix | this wart. Really, they should be either | > completely different (like Int and Bool), or | > completely the same (like [Char] and String). | > But both these stances have problems, and nothing satisfying has | emerged. So this proposal simply fixes the worst aspect (unsoundness) | of the current setup. | > So I regard it as a way to stay explicitly non-committal, leaving the | main question open. | > There are a couple of clarifications I’d like which I’ve put on the | discussion thread. | > Simon | > _______________________________________________ | > ghc-steering-committee mailing list | > ghc-steering-committee@haskell.org | > https://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-steering- | committee | -- | Joachim Breitner | mail@joachim-breitner.de | http://www.joachim-breitner.de/