With Haskell, there's always something new to learn, and on haskell-cafe there are always patient people to assist in that endeavor. Thanks, all. Michael --- On Sat, 9/11/10, Jason Dagit <dagit@codersbase.com> wrote: From: Jason Dagit <dagit@codersbase.com> Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Cost: (:) vs head To: "michael rice" <nowgate@yahoo.com> Cc: haskell-cafe@haskell.org Date: Saturday, September 11, 2010, 2:59 PM On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 7:10 AM, michael rice <nowgate@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Baz, That's quite an analysis, one I'll keep for future reference. So, my original coding was the fastest. Guess I should stop second guessing myself. ;-) I think Bas's point was actually that you should second guess yourself and use Criterion/ghc-core if you want to know which way is fastest. On the other hand, these are microbrenchmarks and should not be taken as representative of how they will perform inside a larger application. Evidence is always nice to have :) Jason