Have you considered installing on older version of GHC? Such as GHC 6.10.4 or GHC 6.8.3? http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_10_4 http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_683 They won't have all the latest extensions.. but they still have more features than any other alternative. Also, once you have a version installed, you can, with enough patience, upgrade to the latest version if you really need some feature. - jeremy On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> wrote:
Hi. I've got this work situation where I've got to do all my work on /ancient/ RHEL5 systems, with funky software configurations, and no root privileges. I wanted to install GHC in my local account, but the gnu libc version is so old (2.5!) that I can't even get the binary packages to install.
I've had success installing some other simple functional languages (like CLISP) on these same systems, so I was wondering if there was perhaps another language very similar to Haskell (but presumably simpler) with a super portable compiler easily built from source, which I could try.
I'll admit -- I haven't tried the HUGS compiler for Haskell. The quick description didn't make it sound much more portable than GHC, but I guess I could try it if I heard some good reasons to think it would be more portable.
-- frigidcode.com
_______________________________________________ Haskell-Cafe mailing list Haskell-Cafe@haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe