In my opinion it would be important to increase the understanding about "semantics" and "processes". And it would be good to introduce the concepts in a similar way as Profokiev introduces the sound of classical music in "Peter and the Wolf". If my suspicion is correct, functional programming would be very close to composing classical music (or concurrent algorithms and processes). Has anyone of you similar thoughts on music and programming ? What are the basic ingredients for making abstractions (like in music rythm, keys, tempo, ...) ? It would be useful to express different ways of expression by explaining first "semantics" of processes and abstractions. --- Kirsten Chevalier <catamorphism@gmail.com> schrieb:
It's not as if this is the first time that this has been suggested, but some people have suggested that a practical book about Haskell would be a good idea. I agree. Some people have also suggested that the right moment for this hasn't arrived yet, and I see that as a challenge.
I'm willing to take the lead in at least thinking about what such a book might look like. I'm potentially about to have some free time for such things, and am still young and foolish enough to think that writing a book would be a good idea.
Of course, there are many good Haskell books out there already, but many of them are intended as class textbooks or are aimed at more theoretical-minded people. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think that it would be nice if a friendly, conversational, informal book about Haskell existed, since after all this is such a friendly and informal community. (If there already is a book like this, point it out, but I get the impression there's not.)
There's also excellent Haskell documentation available on the web already, but people like to buy books and they like to have an artifact that they can hold in their hands without getting laser printer toner all over themselves.
But if I were going to do this, I'd need all the help I could get, so if you're interested in working with me on this, email me off-list and we'll talk. Don't feel like you need to be named "Simon" for this; I don't think you need to be a Haskell guru to contribute to a book like this (I know I'm not one), though it wouldn't hurt. Being interested in good writing and explaining things to a wider audience is more important. And, the more people who are interested in working on this, the more we can all pool our various talents to create something awesome.
Cheers, Kirsten
-- Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier@alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt "Everyone's too stupid." -- _Ghost World_ _______________________________________________ Haskell-Cafe mailing list Haskell-Cafe@haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
___________________________________________________________ Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.de