Generally we (the Hackage admins) ask you to do the following before asking us to take over a package. Maintainer unreachable: 1. Try to contact the maintainer. Give him/her reasonable time to respond. 2. State your intention to take over the package in a public forum (e.g. haskell-cafe/libraries list). CC maintainer. 3. Wait a while. 4. Send us an email, with a link to the public email thread. 5. We will grant you maintenance rights. Maintainer reachable: Option 1 (preferred): 1. Original maintainer gives you access at http://hackage.haskell.org/package/<package>/maintainers/ Option 2: 1. Email us, with the maintainer CCed. 2. Maintainer replies to email saying it's OK. 3. We grant access. -- Johan On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma@ro-che.info> wrote:
In the recent past I took over two unmaintained packages: bert and ansi-terminal. I don't mind spending a bit of time to keep our ecosystem from bitrotting.
However, both times I had to go through an irritating procedure of contacting hackage admins, asking them to grant me upload rights, explaining why the maintainers can't do that themselves and why I think the packages are abandoned.
Instead of a feeling that I'm doing something good and useful, I have a feeling that I'm bothering people with my own problems. It also adds unnecessary latency to my work.
So from now on I'll simply fork the packages I need to fix.
Others are of course welcome to use my forks.
(This email was prompted by regex-tdfa which doesn't build on GHC 7.8, and whose maintainer hasn't responded. My fork is at http://hackage.haskell.org/package/regex-tdfa-rc .)
Roman
_______________________________________________ Haskell-Cafe mailing list Haskell-Cafe@haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe