(Brent, sorry for initially sending this to your private mail instead of the list, my mistake!) Thanks to both of you for the kind replies! Alright, having learnt a bit more about the system, I was thinking this: I could just run the standard GDM (long history, low dependencies), and then run xmonad through it. However, I need to resolve how to get the system to automatically run GDM after booting? Is there a config file I can hack to accomplish this? Thanks in advance! On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey@seas.upenn.edu>wrote:
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:50:17AM +0200, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
Dear all,
I am rather new to "manually" setting up a desktop environment, so please bear with me.
I would like to be able to boot my system straight into xmonad, without having to have any particular desktop environment installed. Currently, I run LXDE and am able to choose xmonad as my wm, but LXDE is of course still present, and I would like to be rid of it. My goal is a "clean system" based only around xmonad and any other packages I need to get it running.
How could I accomplish this? What config files would I have to fiddle with to get it running, and what other packages would I need apart from xmonad?
This is what I do. I just run xmonad from my ~/.xinitrc which is run by X on startup. I do not have a display manager running; when my computer boots up it just drops me into a shell prompt, and from there I type 'startx' which starts X and xmonad. Using a display manager so you boot directly into xmonad is not too hard either.
-Brent
_______________________________________________ xmonad mailing list xmonad@haskell.org http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/xmonad